What is Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)?
Tapping technique is a new discovery that has provided thousands with relief from pain, diseases and emotional issues. Simply stated, it is a unique version of acupuncture except you don’t use needles. Instead, you stimulate well established energy meridian points on your body by tapping them with your fingertips- while you are psychologically tuned in to an issue. The process is easy to learn and can be practiced by anyone.
After thousands of years of studying our body’s energy pathways, we now know that imbalances, or blockages, in the flow of energy can result in both emotional and physical difficulties. This idea has been largely ignored by Western healing practices and we now see that this is why tapping often works where nothing else will. There are many different types of Energy Therapies out there (Acupuncture, Reiki, Polarity to name a few), tapping the meridian points is unique in that it is an Energy Psychology. It combines the gentle tapping of acupressure points with the psychological “tuning in” to the problem.
Neutralizing the Unconscious Resistance to Change
When we are aware of some resistance to what we desire, or even when we are not aware of the specifics, we can use Neutralizing to clear the way for the conditions and circumstances we desire. This will clear the resistance to change, and allow us to move on to clear the issue. While tapping on the karate chop spots on the outside of both hands, try a statement such as: “Even though I have this issue (fill in the blank), part of me doesn’t want to let this go, for whatever reason, conscious or unconscious, and in this moment, I choose to love and accept myself, just as I am.” Repeat twice, then move on to the Basic Recipe.
The Basic Recipe
- Once you have chosen the condition or issue you would like to address, then
- Write down your set up statement and focus on the sensation in your body as you are tapping.
- Measure the intensity of the condition or issue as it exists now while you are tuning in.
- Rate the intensity on a scale of 1 to 10 to begin and check in throughout the session.
- Keep your eyes open and speak your truth out loud, to acknowledge and release as you tap.
- The Tapping Sequence & Reminder Statement – Tap each of the points on the face, under the arm, inside the wrists and crown of the head 5 – 7 times while repeating the Reminder Statement. For example: “This pain, this pain, this pain in my knee.” Repeat this sequence three times.
Here are the tapping points:
- Eyebrow point – at the beginning of the eyebrow, just above the nose.
- Side of the eyes – on the bone bordering the outside of the eye.
- Under the eyes – on the bone directly under the eye.
- Under the nose – in the center of the area between the nose and top lip.
- Chin – in the center between the bottom lip and the bottom of the chin.
- Collar bones – the junction where the collarbone, sternum and ribs first meet.
- Under the arms – on the side of the body approx. 4 inches below the armpit.
- Lower ribs – just below the breasts.
- Inside both wrists palms facing so fingertips tap inside both wrists.
- Crown of the head – toward the back of the head, just before it goes vertical.
Testing the Results
- Measure your progress by observing the level of intensity and note the change. If the issue is less severe, but still noticeable, change the Set-Up Statement to something like this: “Even though I still have some remaining pain, I totally and completely love, accept and forgive.
- Then repeat the Tapping Sequence with an altered Reminder Statement such as: “This remaining pain, I’m ready to let this go, this remaining pain, it’s time to release this now.”
- Keep repeating this process until the intensity of the issue has dropped below
- When there is very little remaining, tap one more time around with the statement: “I now choose to fully heal this issue, and I totally and completely love and accept myself.”
What to do when it appears not to be working:
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after practicing.
- Be persistent – continue to practice every day until the issue begins to diminish.
- Be specific – continue to fine tune your set-up statement.
- Hidden or shifting aspects – allow the process to unfold and keep going with the tapping.
- Remove watches, jewelry, tight clothing or anything that might interfere with the process.
- Practice while undisturbed – turn off the cell phone, TV or music.
Remember to tap every day even when you begin to feel better. Enjoy!
www.thetappingsolution.com Nick Ortner’s wonderful resource of all things related to tapping.
www.tappingthematrix.com Rob Nelson in Santa Rosa, California offers Level 1 and 2 Practitioner trainings, as well as Matrix Reimprinting trainings, certification and EFT gatherings.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoSzivsQkVI Tap ‘O the Morning with Brad Yates. Very fun!